As the season comes to an end we really are going to miss our Chalet cakes. There is nothing better than coming back from a day on the mountain to the smell baking. A long standing Alpine Action favourite is our “Apple and Almond” cake. This mouth watering goodness, has a crisp outside and soft spongy middle. It lasts for ages if stored in a cake tin and if you like it as much as we do, you can even heat it up and serve it with a little cream for dessert.
Apple and Almond Cake
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
50g of almond flakes (plus some extra for decoration)
1 tsp cinnamon
300g raising flour
pinch of salt
375g brown sugar
Icing sugar (optional for decoration)
1. Peel, core and slice apples.
2. Sift flour, cinnamon and salt into a bowl.
3. Stir in the brown sugar, raisins, eggs, almonds, melted butter, milk and apples.
4. Mix until smooth and pour into a greased and floured cake tin.
5. Cook for 45 minutes in a moderate oven (180ºC).
6. Stick a knife in the centre of the cake to check it is done, its should come out clean when removed.
7. Decorate with Almond flakes and a light dusting of icing sugar, or with almond icing, like Carmen in Chalet Telekie.